Westlake High School offers several concert band ensembles to meet the needs of our students. Concert Band is a non-audition group that focuses on developing fundamental musicianship and offers a place for all band students to make music. Symphonic Band is an advanced ensemble that requires an audition. This group focuses on honing skills necessary to craft and execute more challenging music. Wind Symphony is the most advanced group. This group focuses on learning the nuance of performance at a high level. Students in this group must audition and participate in weekly sectionals throughout the school year.
Audition Information: All students desiring to participate in Symphonic Band or Wind Symphony must complete an audition. Below you will find materials for the 2020-2021 school year. Audition Materials are being made accessible beginning May 4, 2020. Please follow the instruction below:
Please use this form to submit your audition for all Westlake High School concert ensembles. Please follow the instructions given in the video tutorial provided my Mr. Brady. All Auditions MUST be completed by Friday, MAY 15 at 2:00PM
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDITIONING (Please watch the video AND/OR read BEFORE preparing audition pieces):
1. Look up your audition material by clicking on the button below.
2. Prepare the 5 Note Scale exercise (does not have to be memorized). Play at the fastest tempo that you can play CLEANLY. Please have a metronome clicking at your desired tempo while you record.
3. Prepare the excerpt given (from Prelude, Siciliano, and Rondo by Malcom Arnold).
-When preparing the excerpts, please refer to the YouTube recordings below.
-SICILIANO Excerpts recording (Alto Sax & Tenor Sax ONLY) : https://youtu.be/nwQ_HCP1wC8
–Letter D begins at 1:11
–Letter E begins at 1:32
-RONDO Excerpts recording (All Instruments): https://youtu.be/aBQvk8KFZiM
–Most start at the beginning
–Letter D begins at 0:59
–Letter E begins at 1:09
–Letter F begins at 1:19
4.Video record your audition excerpt using a phone, tablet, or computer. Please do not use professional recording setups for your recording. If you do not have access to a phone, tablet, or computer; you may request a time to come use a device at the school. Please email email@example.com to set up a time to record at the school.
5. Upload your video to your Alpine District Google Drive. Copy the link and be prepared to paste it into the Google Form below.
6. Submit your TWO recordings (1 recording for scales, 1 recording for the music excerpt). PLEASE UPLOAD YOUR RECORDINGS TO YOUR ALPINE DISTRICT GOOGLE DRIVE. THEN, submit a link to the video.