In This Issue
- Rose Parade Music Memorization
- Rose Parade Medical Forms and Float Decorating Waivers
- Rose Parade Video
- Rose Parade Photographer Needed
- Saturday Rehearsal Reminder
- Marching Band Banquet RSVP
- Making a Difference Service Competition
- Clothing Drive Fundraiser 2018
- Rose Parade Tour Information Meeting
- SignUpGenius Summary
- Upcoming Events
- Upcoming Rehearsals
There are 28 days until the 2018 Rose Parade. Rose Parade fun fact of the week: Marching Bands are required to be playing for MOST of the Rose Parade with very little time to rest. The rule of thumb is that no audience member should see the entire band pass by without hearing them play at some point. That’s a lot of playing! Start building your “chops” NOW!
Rose Parade Music Memorization
All students are expected to have learned and memorized the second parade tune prior to Wednesday’s rehearsal. If your student needs assistance to complete this responsibility, please have them reach out to their section leader or a member of student leadership immediately to receive help. Additional rehearsals will need to be scheduled if the band is not ready to perform this piece at rehearsal on Wednesday.
Rose Parade Medical Forms and Float Decorating Waivers
Rose Parade medical forms and float decorating waivers are past due. We are still missing over half of the forms. Please check the online form tracker to verify whether your student’s form has been received. This information is updated with everything was received as of Saturday, December 2. Please have any missing forms turned in by the end of the day on Wednesday, December 6.
Rose Parade Video
We have been working with Bob Rogers Travel and were able to find a way to order our Rose Parade video (MINUS the post-parade and Bandfest coverage) at no additional charge to you. We will be providing one copy of the DVD per student. The DVD will include pre-parade and parade coverage as well as all media coverage that includes the band on any affiliated network. We are so excited to be able to offer this at no additional cost!
Rose Parade Photographer Needed
We still need one or two individuals with a high-quality camera who are willing to use a media pass take photos of the band as it passes the press box. We will do the work to order and provide the media pass. We will have video coverage, but no official photographs unless we have someone who would be willing to do this for us. Please contact Charlotte Ducos (email@example.com) if you are interested.
Saturday Rehearsal Reminder
Please remember to hold open Saturday, December 9, and Saturday, December 16, for rehearsals until we can get our schedule finalized. We are working on finalizing arrangements to rehearse at the University of Utah and will announce the schedule once we have those details resolved.
Marching Band Banquet RSVP
Our marching band banquet will be held on Wednesday, January 10, in the commons at Westlake. The event will be catered by Magleby’s. The menu is alfredo pasta with chicken, steamed vegetables, roll, salad, and cake. There is no charge for student plates. Parents and other family members are $8, which is our cost.
Because the event will be catered, we must get a full and accurate count to the caterer one week prior to the event. Since we must pre-order meals, there will be no option to pay at the door. We need a count both for student meals and parent meals, so everyone attending must fill out this form in order to receive a plate that night. You can RSVP your full party on one form.
Payment for parent plates will be made on myschoolfees.com. For those who prefer to pay in person, we will also be taking payments at the holiday concert on December 13. Parent plates must be confirmed as paid or they will not be ordered.
You can confirm your payment one of three ways.
- Prior to submitting this form, make your payment using the provided link or go to myschoolfees.com to make your payment, and then enter your payment confirmation code in the box provided below.
- Pay for your plate online and send a copy of your receipt to Shawna Ivins at firstname.lastname@example.org or Charlotte Ducos at email@example.com.
- Pay at the holiday concert and submit your receipt either via email or directly at the register when you pay.
To RSVP, go to https://goo.gl/forms/FL8pzqAxyHuQioIF3. To make payments online, go to https://secure2.myschoolfees.com/single_item_link.aspx?sid=121&feeid=13277.
Remember that EVERYONE (students and parents) needs to RSVP in order to receive a plate at the banquet.
Making a Difference Service Competition
We will be putting the refugee kits together this Wednesday, December 6, at 6:00 PM, immediately following band rehearsal. Please put all donations in the bins in the band room before this time. This is our final service event for the service competition!
The SignUpGenius for refugee kit assembly has been updated to include an additional item. We need volunteers to provide gallon ziplock backs to put the kits in. We also still need two to four parents to sign up to help oversee assembly of the kits and to bring treats or healthy snacks for those staying to assemble the kits. Thank you for all of your efforts. Sign up to help at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e044aa8a628aa8-refugee.
We hope some of you were able to see our band’s tree at the Festival of Trees. It was a great success! It was purchased by Friends of the Festival. Thank you again to those parents and students who helped us decorate it.
Clothing Drive Fundraiser 2018
We are planning to do the clothing drive fundraiser again this spring in conjunction with the Easter pancake breakfast. It’s time to start gathering clothing now.
We will not have a place to store any bags until we return from the Rose Parade, so please keep that in mind if you start gathering early.
Rose Parade Tour Information Meeting
On December 13, we will have a tour information at 6:00 PM just prior to the holiday concert. We will have lots of great information and hand out tour bags and final itineraries. After the meeting, the holiday concert will begin at 7:30 PM.
- Lifting Hands International donations
- Refugee kit assembly (December 6)
- Marching band banquet RSVP (January 10)
- Marching band banquet payments
- December 13 – 6:00 PM – Parade tour meeting with Bob Rogers Travel
- December 13 – 7:30 PM – Holiday band concert
- December 14 – 3:00 PM – Concerto concert auditions
- December 15 – 4:30 PM to 9:00 PM – Pep band
- December 19 – Performing arts holiday assembly
- December 27 to January 3 – Rose Parade tour
- December 6 – 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM – Rose parade rehearsal
- December 9 – TBA – Rose parade rehearsal
- December 13 – 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM – Rose parade rehearsal
- December 16 – TBA – Rose parade rehearsal
- December 20 – 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM – Rose parade rehearsal
You are receiving this email because of your association with the Westlake High School band program. If you no longer have a student at Westlake or wish to be removed from the mailing list, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or reply to this message to be removed from the mailing list.